Underwood Conservation District is offering free soil, manure, and compost testing to residents of western Klickitat and Skamania counties. Maintaining good soil fertility is crucial for growing quality crops. The testing program is designed for small to mid-sized producers to learn more about their soil condition and better manage nutrient applications.
Here are techniques to follow to obtain the meaningful soil test you are looking for:
• Use a clean sampling tool. (Sampling tools available from UCD.)
• Sample your field at 10 different locations, and then mix soil to ensure that your sample is representative of your entire field.
• Sample to at least 12 inches depth. A deeper sample may be even better for deep rooting crops.
• Sample at the proper time of year, usually either fall or spring depending on your crop.
Most tests will include the following results:
• Ammonium Nitrogen and Nitrate Nitrogen
• pH and Organic Matter Content
• Macronutrients: Phosphorous and Potassium
• Micronutrients: Boron, Zinc, Manganese, Copper and Iron
To view a sample report, click HERE.
Underwood CD will provide up to two free soil tests per field and a maximum of four tests per landowner. UCD staff can help individuals prepare a sampling plan.
To obtain a free soil test, please sign up using the form below. If you have additional questions, please contact Carly by calling 509-493-1936 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.